Wednesday 17 October 2012

Antony Gormley

Antony Gormley is one artist that to be honest, I didn't perticular look into with great detail because his work didn't catch me. However in the last few days I found a book called Blind Light and the pieces shown in it made me rethink what I actually thought of his work.
I read a piece in the book titled Blur Space: Blind Light (2007) which talked about how Gormley transformed sculptural space into an area where our senses need to heightened as our sight became useless as the area itself became a 'blur', disorientated.
When I read this I instantly thought "THIS IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO ACHIEVE WITH MY PROJECT!". Before now I was finding it incredabley difficult to find artists that had explored this sense of being blind and how when our sight is altered the world around us changes.

Blind Light 2007

 
Another piece I really liked that related to my project was of a room that Gormley had filled with metal bars sticking out from the floor, walls and ceiling. When you can't depend on your eyesight your hands become the next major sense. There is so many bars in  room that you have to feel around to make sure you're not going to walk into one.
It also gives the sense of fear which I'm also trying to portray in my project. Fear and disorientation is a huge factor when you don't have your sight to depend on. This room creates fear.
 
Hatch (detail) 2007
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment